Permanent Visas and Green Cards in Tennessee

Practical advice from a respected immigration attorney about permanent visas and green cards

After making Nashville, Tennessee home for more than 40 years, we understand why you want to set down roots here, too. Permanent residency in America opens doors to many opportunities. A permanent visa, or green card, is the very first step to a new life in our country, and at the Law Office of Perry A. Craft, PLLC, we have the skills and resources you want to help you take that step. We do everything that is ethically within our power to ensure that you can stay right here in America.

Learn more about what makes you eligible for a green card

There are so many benefits to being a permanent resident in Tennessee. With a green card, you can live and work in Tennessee or anywhere in the United States. You’re protected under the rights of the U.S. Constitution and the laws that govern your state. It’s also the first step in the naturalization process, should you decide you want to become a U.S. citizen. The more common ways of obtaining a green card include:

  • Going through a family member. Many immigrants with family in the U.S. choose to live and work here as well. You can apply for a green card if your spouse is a citizen or a green card holder, or if your parent, child, or sibling is a citizen. You may also be eligible if you’re the child of a diplomat, or a widower of a U.S. citizen.
  • Going through your employer. We handle business immigration matters, for both employers and employees. If you’re an investor or a worker, your employer can sponsor you for a green card. If you have an O visa or a National Interest waiver, we can help you apply for a permanent visa instead.
  • Seeking asylum or have refugee status. Political refugees and dissidents may apply for a permanent visa one year after being granted asylum. Because of the complex nature of this category, you want an immigration attorney to help you through the process.

You may also be eligible if you are engaged to be married to a U.S. citizen, are a victim of abuse by your spouse or parent, or through the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program, commonly called the “Green Card Lottery.” At the Law Office of Perry A. Craft, PLLC, we help you on your path to getting a green card by planning out applicable short- and long-term strategies that work for you and your family.

Keeping your permanent residence status

Though obtaining a permanent visa takes time and effort, losing it is considerably easier. You run the risk of losing your green card if you:

  • Abandon your residence. If you leave the country for more than a year without obtaining a returning resident visa or reentry permit, you may lose your permanent status. In some cases, it could take less than a year for the government to revoke your status. If you are issued a reentry permit but remain outside the U.S. for more than two years, your permanent status could be revoked. If you move to another country to live, your green card could be revoked.
  • Fail to file your taxes. If you do need to live outside of the U.S. for any length of time, make sure to file your income taxes. If you don’t, or if you declare yourself a “nonimmigrant,” you could lose your green card.
  • Commit a crime. We all must obey the laws, whether we’re citizens or not. If you are charged with or convicted of a crime, you may face deportation.

Immigration laws surrounding permanent visas can be complicated. Attorney Perry A. Craft offers you sound, practical advice about your timelines and your application for a permanent visa. His detailed-oriented nature guarantees that all your documentation is filled out correctly and kept in order, helping you get your green card faster and with less stress. He also helps you through the labor certification process, to help you protect your place in the work force.

Ready for your green card? We can help.

At the Nashville-based Law Office of Perry A. Craft, PLLC, we focus on explaining the immigration laws to you, and answering your questions when they arise. We can walk you through the process for getting a permanent visa.  Call 615-953-3808 or fill out our convenient contact form to schedule an appointment with Attorney Craft.

Related Visa Articles