Temporary and Visitation Visas

When you need help with your temporary visa, reach out to us

There are a lot of reasons to live in the great state of Tennessee, but there are plenty of reasons to visit, too. A temporary visa, sometimes called a “visitor visa,” allows people from foreign countries to spend time in America for longer periods of time, without giving up citizenship in their home country. If you need a temporary visa for a work-related seminar, an extended vacation, or a celebratory event like a wedding, the Law Office of Perry A. Craft, PLLC can get you on your way. We answer your questions about the steps involving in getting a visa, how long the process takes, and how long you can remain in the country.

What do you need for a temporary visa?

A temporary or non-immigrant visa is specifically for people who wish to come to America, but do not want to live here permanently. Because the rules for international travel can be complicated, you want to make sure you have all your papers in order. Come to our office where Attorney Perry A. Craft can help you each step of the way. To apply, generally you must:

  1. Fill out an application for a visa.
  2. Pay the fee associated with the application. Save the receipt, as you may need it later to prove that you paid the fee.
  3. Have a passport that will be valid for an additional six months after you leave the country; so, if you plan on staying in Tennessee for a year, you must have a passport that is valid for 18 months.
  4. Have a photo ID.
  5. Attend an interview at a consular office. You will be fingerprinted during this interview, and you should be prepared to answer questions about where you are going, how long you are staying, and how you intend to pay for what you need while you are there.

What kind of B visa do you need?

B1 and B2 are non-immigrant visas. A B1 temporary visa is for business only, but the rules are very strict. A B1 visa is usually the right choice if you are attending a conference, consulting with your overseas business partners, or if you’re an athlete participating in an exhibition game. You are not allowed to earn a salary from an American company with this temporary visa, though you may be paid by your own company in your own country.

A B2 visa is for tourists and travelers. If you’re attending a wedding, taking a vacation, or participating in amateur sports games, the B2 temporary visa is for you. You may also apply for a B2 visa if you need a particular medical procedure or treatment, or if you wanted to attend a conference for pleasure.

In some cases, you can apply for a B1/B2 visa, if you intend to mix work and fun during your stay. Your B visa is valid for up to 10 years total, depending on how often you renew. At the Law Office of Perry A. Craft, PLLC, we help you decide whether a temporary visa is what’s right for you, or if a permanent visa is better for your plans.

Have questions about temporary visas? We can answer them.

Whether you’re traveling for business, pleasure, or a little bit of both, the Law Office of Perry A. Craft, PLLC can help you make the most of your trip. Call 615-953-3808 or fill out our convenient contact form to schedule a consultation for one of Nashville’s respected immigration attorneys.